World War I Effects

 World War I

There are many people who think differently when we think of what caused World War I. But we know that World War I was triggered by the assassination of Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a Serbian national in Sarajevo. World War I is considered the first Modern War because of modern weaponry such as machine guns, airplanes, tanks, and poison gas. Alas, the arts were affected by World War I. Dada art and Surrealism are two types of art that formed after World War I.

Dada Art

Some artists believed that the war was created from tradition. Artists reacted to the war by rejecting tradition. This rejection of tradition was called Dada and was formed after the war started. Hence, the formation of Dada art. 

Fountain (1917) by Marcel Duchamp; location lost/destroyed 

Despite the original sculpture being lost or destroyed, there were 16 replicas that were made with Duchamp's approval. This sculpture is very anti-art and anti-rational which makes it a Dada type of sculpture. This work of art by Duchamp was unusual or avant-garde. The Fountain had to be accepted because all submissions were to be accepted at the Society of Independent Artists. But even if it was accepted, they didn't place it to be shown. 

In this unusual sculpture from Duchamp, I see a rebellion against traditional art. With the upside-down white porcelain urinal signed "R. Mutt", I see some sort of protest to the traditional art. That was exactly what Duchamp wanted to show. Because of the brutal war going on, Dada artists like Duchamp reacted by making this unnatural "work of art". I liked that Duchamp did this. If something brutal like a war happened, I would want to rebel against the war just as Duchamp does. This work of art gives me an emotion of pride and wanting to stand up for myself. 


The Pillars of Society (1926) by George Grosz; location Nationgalerie 

This is a Dada type of art painted by Grosz. In this, Grosz shows us the corrupt people of Germany. Grosz is actually a German but he migrated to America before Hitler gained power and showed he was anti-Nazi. Grosz depicts the German class with the officer, clergyman, and more. Grosz paints them in a way that is against them. 

Grosz paints their faces in a way that makes them not look alive. There faces are either discolored or bruised. This shows that Grosz is against the German government. Grosz makes great use of color and emphasis. The colors of the faces are unnatural. The background is red which gives the emotion of danger. I think these emphasize the work of art. It really shows how Grosz feels about the Weimar Republic. That's the emphasis here. 

Surrealism

Surrealism came from Dada and was more irrational and strange because the works were also connected to Sigmund Freud. 

The Elephant Celebes (1921) by Max Ernst; location Tate Modern

In this work of art by Ernst, I see some strange things which make it a surrealistic work of art. In some parts of this, I can see some Dada aspects of art. A dreamlike place along with non-traditional things such as this big black figure which looked like a big robot to me at first glance. But it is an elephant with the tusks going backward making it look like horns. Also a nude woman without a head raising her left hand. 

Ernst uses shapes, contrast, and atmospheric perspective. The shapes are uneven which makes it untraditional. Like the elephant's head is uneven. The elephant's body is oversized and the neck looks like a vacuum hose. The lady has no head. Behind the black elephant, I see the hazy sky behind easily due to the contrast in color. The atmospheric perspective allows me to see what looks like mountains far behind. All of these aspects give me a feeling of being lost or in a weird dream. 

Because of World War I, the arts were really affected. People rebelled. Not just people but also artists. Artists reacted rightfully and I think they did the right thing. As Dada and Surrealism formed, the art world also changed. I didn't really like the arts during this time period but I understand it. There weren't any warm colors and satisfying symmetrical shapes. 


Works Cited

Cabinet. “An Overview of the Seventeen Known Versions of ‘Fountain’: Cabinet.” CABINET / An Overview of the Seventeen Known Versions of "Fountain", www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/27/duchamp.php.

Dadaism - Art and Anti Art, www.artyfactory.com/art_appreciation/art_movements/dadaism.htm.

“Fountain (Duchamp).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 23 Oct. 2020, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_(Duchamp).

“Society of Independent Artists.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 12 June 2020, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Independent_Artists.

Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. “Home.” Staatliche Museen Zu Berlin, www.smb.museum/en/museums-institutions/nationalgalerie/home/.

“Tate Modern.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 16 Aug. 2020, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate_Modern.

“The Elephant Celebes.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 27 June 2020, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Celebes.

Comments

  1. Hi! I enjoyed reading your blog - most especially in the "Elephant Celebes" part of the blog. I'd like to comment on Marcel Duchamp's work though. I read of his wit and his humor and his tendency for controversial works. I absolutely adore his "LHOOQ" work. I'm not too keen on seeing a urinal as a work of art, but I am also not too keen on the drawing a moustache on Mona Lisa and calling it art. However, his charm and his humor - perhaps those are enough to win me over. Do you think that is art?
    As for the Elephant Celebes part - I really love surrealism! I often feel disconnected from reality anyway, so having something strange to "come back to" is pretty fun. The Elephant Celebes makes me laugh because I see an elephant bottom and as well as a man on the right (without a head). I feel kind of childish for laughing though, haha. I think I like this work because of how the subjects have mostly smooth surfaces. The elephant, its tusks, the man and the woman. Smooth. Even if there aren't much warm colors, I like the mix of grey, silver and black. It adds other colors that stand out for a flavor of some variety. Thanks for choosing this work! I'd say it's a favorite for me now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaden, I appreciated you sharing these three pieces. I found the first piece by Duchamp entertaining in that I can see why that would be such a bold thing to do. I do agree standing up for what one believes is important, and if that is expressed through art, than so be it. An interesting piece for us now to reflect on. The second painting I found interesting to look at, and I don't think I would have put together the artist intention taken out of context, but I guess that is why it is so important to understand the backstory of art. The last piece by Ernst just makes me shake my head. I have no idea how the man created such a surreal piece, but again- reflective upon the times.. like you said they were under great mental constraints due to the war and we are fortunate to not know how that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore dada art. I think it has a very strange quality that makes you stop and think, more then you might with a traditional art piece. Your point about wanting to make rebellious art in the midst of a violent war was very interesting to me, and isn't something I'd considered before. Surrealism is also something I really love, but gives me a gross feeling because I really hate Sigmund Freud. However, I do really appreciate the artistic pushback that both methods fostered. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I really like all the pictures you provided. So much detail in them all. I like the second and last one the best. The second is picture has so much going. The colors here are great. The red in the background seems to represent danger. All the faces are distinct and have their own expressions. The form has a 3dish look to is as you can tell there are people in the back in front. I had to look twice but then seen a feather in one of their hands. I am seeing more curves than lines, but there are a few lines in it. Every time I re-look at the picture there is something else to notice. What an impressive picture. The last one also is interesting to me. It caught me a bit off guard with the heads not being there. I have to agree that yes; the shapes are uneven. The color is also different as there seems to be more grey, yet there are a few spots where there is color. The form is delicate also you n see that is an elephant but makes you look twice as it also looked like a tank to me. There are a few spots that have lines, yet there are also curves in this. Great selection of pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Revolution

A Little About Me

War and Religion Effects